(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Mathura A District Memoir"

12                                                       THB SABX0GIS.
title which has as many subordinate branches as the original Th&kor stock.
Thus we hare Gauruas, who call themselves—some Kachhwahas, some Jasdwats,
some Sissodiyas, and so on, throughout the whole series of Thakur clans. The
last named are more commonly known as Bachhals from the Bachh-ban at Sehi,
where their Guru always resides. According to their own traditions they emi-
grated from Chitor some 700 or 800 years ago, but probably at rather a later
period, after Ala-ud-din's famous siege of 1303, As they gave the name of
Banera to one of their original settlements in the Mathura district, there can be
little doubt that the emigration took place after the year 1202, when the Sove-
reign of Chitor first assumed the title of Edna instead of the older Rdval. They
now occupy as many as 24 villages in the Chh&t& pargana, and a few of the
same clan—872 souls in all—are also to be found in the Bbauganw and Bewar
parganas of the Mainpuri district.
The great majority of Baniyas in the district are Agarw&Iaa. Of the Sarau-
gis, whose ranks are recruited exclusively from the Baniya class, some few be-
long to that sub-division, but most of them, including Seth Raghunath Das, are
of the Khandel gaclichha or got. They number in all 1593 only and are not
making such rapid progress here as notably iij the adjoining district of Mainpuri
and in some other parts of India. In this centre of orthodoxy * the naked gods*
are "held in unaffected horror by the great mass of Hindus, and the submission
of any well-to-do convert is generally productive of local disturbance, as has
been the case more than once at Kosi. The temples of the sect are therefore
few and far between, and only to be found in the neighbourhood of the large
trading marts.
The principal one is that belonging to the Seth, which stands in the suburb
of Kesopur. After ascendingu flight of steps and entering the gate, the visitor
finds himself in a square paved and cloistered court-yard with the temple
opposite to him. It is a very plain solid building, arranged in three aisles,
with the altar under a small dome in the centre aisle, one bay short of the end,
*o as to allow of a processional at the back. There are no windows, and the
interior is lighted only by the three small doors in the £ront> one in each aisle,
•which is a traditional feature in Jaini architecture. What with the want of
light, the lowness of the vault, and the extreme heaviness of the piers, the
general effect is more that of a crypt than of a building so well raised above
the ground as ftis really is, It is said that Jambu Swami here practised
penance, and that his name is recorded in an old and almost effaced inscription
on a stone slab that is still preserved under the altar. He is reputed the last
of the Kevalis, or divinely inspired teachers, being the pupil of Sudharma, who